If you are suffering from an addiction of any kind I hope these tips will give you great hope! I have learned about addiction from an amazing woman named Teal Swan. You can find her videos on YouTube.
Addiction is your mind and body’s way of trying to do a good thing. Addiction is moving away from discord toward relief. People with addictions are very sensitive to needing relief from their discord. Your brain has, through trial and error, found a way to find relief from the discord. If you increase your level of stress and discord in your life your urge to engage in an addictive behavior is going to go up. If you decrease the stress and discord, your urge toward an addictive activity will not occur.
Addiction is not about the substance or activity, it is about what the addiction covers up. You have to find out what you are covering up. You have to find out what you’re running away from if you want to get to the heart of an addictive behavior.
Ask yourself these two important questions:
1. “What is the motivation for this particular addiction?
2. What am I trying to escape from and what am I trying to avoid?
Once you have identified the motivation for your addiction, here are some tips that will help:
1. Find people, groups and professionals to support you. Find people who are capable of reflecting back to you the person you really are, loving you when you are covered in vomit, when you are screaming and itching your own skin off. People who will hold an anchor for you – the anchor of who you really are.
2. Ease up about your guilt relative to the subject of addiction and relapses especially. When you feel discord and feel the urge, when you feel guilt for the addiction itself, there is more discord added on top of it and that spirals into more addiction. Ease up on yourself and understand that the reason you are addicted in the first place is that you want to feel good. It doesn’t make you a bad person, you still have every bit as much worth as when you were born.
Every time you add the stress of guilt and of disappointment towards the SELF you are getting to all of the reasons you’ve begun engaging in the addiction in the first place. You have a recipe for failure. There is no reason to put yourself in that kind of prison and punishment. You cannot condemn yourself without feeding the energy of addiction. Your body will always compensate because it loves you. If you add self-condemnation you will need even more of the addiction. It isn’t the substance that makes your lifestyle worse it’s the deepening guilt.
Once you feel addicted and powerless, you feel absolutely no self-esteem. When you have no self-Esteem your point of attraction becomes worse and the things in your physical reality get worse, and worse. You feel like a failure so your body can’t stay in health.
3. You need to delve into the motivation for the addiction in the first place. You need to find out what the addiction is covering. Delve into it as deeply as you can possibly go.
This is heavy stuff you are dealing with. People get to addiction because their place of discord is so big. You don’t need to unravel that all by yourself. Find people to help. Until you solve the motivation for the addiction the motivation is still going to exist. You will not get over the addiction while it still serves you. It still serves you when the motivation is not healed. People who say “I can’t get over this” it is because the addiction still serves them. What is underneath must be healed.
4. Learn how to meditate. This is one of the most valuable things you can learn. Relaxation is absolutely essential if you have discord. Discord causes the urge. Finding a way to relax, to allow and to let yourself go and find relief in ways that are healthy is absolutely paramount.
5. Start treating your body with health and care. Structure your diet so that it is a benefit to your health. Do the same with sleep and the people you associate with. Do the same with activities. Structure your life to be in alignment with what you want to attract. Exercise, healthy diet and healthy activities are conducive to eliminating toxins and positive thoughts.
When you have an addictive behavior – you don’t love yourself yet. Taking an action that is loving seems difficult. Practice self-loving thoughts and actions.
Summary: Overcoming addiction is not about removing the action or substance. It is about creating a life where you do not even feel the urge toward the substance or activity.
As always I am interested in your thoughts and comments!
Thanks, Randall Brown
Order my new book “7 Principles of Divine Purpose – Experiencing Power, Passion and True Success” right now at: http://amzn.to/1dc8WGQ
Watch the book trailer at: http://bit.ly/1ljwOR9
Follow me on Facebook at: http://on.fb.me/104RTBl
Get a FREE copy of my report on “The 11 myths that keep you from True Success” at: http://bit.ly/S1HAvJ